In today’s post, Brother Bob Easton, a member of the Board of HOHPM, outlines some of his thoughts on Deuteronomy 6:23. First, read Deuteronomy 6:20-23:
“(20) And when thy son asketh thee in time to come, saying, What mean the testimonies, and the statutes, and the judgments, which the LORD our God hath commanded you?
(21) Then thou shalt say unto thy son, We were Pharaoh’s bondmen in Egypt; and the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand:
(22) And the LORD shewed signs and wonders, great and sore, upon Egypt, upon Pharaoh, and upon all his household, before our eyes:
(23) And he brought us out from thence, that he might bring us in, to give us the land which he sware unto our fathers.”
Egypt Represents the World of the Lost
2 Corinthians 4:3-4
“(3) But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: (4) In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.”
1 Corinthians 2:14
“But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.”
The Wilderness Represents Spiritual Learning
“(7) Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice, (8) Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness: (9) When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years. (10) Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways. (11) So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)
(12) Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. (13) But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. (14) For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end; (15) While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation. (16) For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.
(17) But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness? (18) And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not? (19) So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.”
Canaan Represents Victory in Christ (Spirit filled)
Paul said: “When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” (1 Corinthians 13:11)
John writes: “For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?” (1 John 5:4-5)
How Much Ground Have You Covered?
Where Are You?
Egypt = Lost
The Wilderness = Spiritual Learning
Canaan = Victory
Here Are the Signs of Maturity:
“(17) That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, (18) May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; (19) And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.”
“(5) And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.”
Not only Love, but…
“(17) For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.”
“(23) If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;”
“(16) Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.”
It Takes Love, Faith, And…
“(17) Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.”
“(14) That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; (15) But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ”
He Brought Us Out That He Might Bring Us Into… Maturity = Canaan
Egypt = World of Lost
Wilderness = Spiritual Learning
Canaan = Victory, Spirit Filled Life, Mature
Where Are You?
A Citizen of Canaan (Heb 4:9-16):
- He is Educated in The Things of God (Verse 12)
- He is Expressive of Spiritual Things (Verse 13)
- He is Evaluating Spiritual Things (Verses 15-16)