“Then he (Christ) said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken” (Luke 24:25)
We live in a world that is now connected by mass communication through the internet, cell phones, I-phones, etc. from anywhere on earth in a matter of milliseconds. The world is constantly reading text messages or emails. The world is reading more now than ever, but receiving very little of value.
“But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?” (John 5:47)
“And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.” (Luke 16:31)
“For they that dwell at Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew him not, nor yet the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath day, they have fulfilled them in condemning him.” (Acts 13:27)
The language of the world today is so shallow and vain, that it requires very little comprehension skills. Our scholastic institutions are granting many diplomas to people who can’t write down a legible paragraph explaining what they have heard, much less what they have read. The educational process, literature, and entertainment programming require very little mental considerations or contemplations to know what is being said or done.
Even the Christian home has been and is greatly affected by these same shallow mental exercises on every level; especially in reading and comprehension skills. Now, even the reading of the simplest of all verses in the King James Version Bible seems to be a mystery to many people, because their comprehension skills are so weak and under-developed.
However, unless you have the mind of Christ, you cannot discern spiritual things (1 Corinthians 2:9-16). The problem with many saved people today is not they don’t have the Spirit dwelling in them, but it is the approach they make toward the Scriptures. This is evidenced in their lack of understanding of what they read in the Word of God, and their lack of diligence to understand it. When a Scripture is read by many Christians today and they don’t understand it on the first reading, they don’t stop and do an exegesis study. No, they say, “It’s too hard for me!” and go on the next verse, and the next, etc.
Revealed Truth comes with diligence in:
- The study of God’s Word:
- “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” (2 Timothy 2:15)
- Searching out a matter:
- “It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.” (Proverbs 25:2)
- Seeking by wisdom:
- “And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven…” (Ecclesiastes 1:13a)
- Buying the truth:
- “Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding.” (Proverbs 23:23)
- “Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.” (Isaiah 55:1)
- “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.” (Matthew 13:44)
Yes, God must create the desire to know truth; but you are responsible to yield yourself to the work, the hard work, of studying, fasting, and praying. You labor in the field of God’s Word; and the workman will not be ashamed. But you will be rewarded, as one who relentlessly searches for gold, whether by digging or panning the creek, and finds pay dirt.
God rewards diligence; “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him” (Hebrews 11:6).
The question arises, “How do I study?”
- First, confess your sins and be clean before God (1 John 1:9);
- Pray for the Holy Spirit’s leadership and anointing (1 John 2:20, 27; John 16:13-15; 14:26);
- Read to learn;
- Have a Bible Concordance for a chain reference;
- Have a simple word picture study, such as “Vine’s Word Pictures”;
- Use a KJV Bible;
- Let the Word of God show you what you believe, and not some denominational study Bible;
- Read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation tracing God’s Grace and Mercy in Jesus Christ; as God reveals His Attributes (His Glory) in the Plan of Redemption in the face of Jesus Christ (John 1:1-18; 2 Corinthians 4:6);
- Study to see your position in Christ, and your practice in Christ toward God and toward others. Find out what God has done for you in Christ; and what God expects you to do for Him, being a child of God, Born of the Spirit.
Child of God, don’t waste your time in reading God’s Word, unless you desire to receive truth from reading His Word. When you do this, your words and your walk will begin to change to have His Love perfected in you (1 John 2:4-6); and His Holiness will be manifested in your life. And then, “this world and all its lusts” will grow strangely dim; for the New Man will be in control of your life. (See 2 Corinthians 5:17: Ephesians 4:17-25; 5:1-33; 6:1-18; Colossians 3:1-25; etc.) Then Righteousness, Peace, and Joy of the Holy Ghost will reign in your mind; Holiness will be your daily goal.
Then, when you read the Word of God, it will be “…a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path” (Psalms 119:105). And you will say, “How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” (Psalms 119:103). (Also see Psalms 19:7-11.) As your eat His Word, assimilate it; it will save your soul (James 1:21). For as you hide His Word in your heart, it will keep you from sin (Psalms 119:11). And Psalms 119:104 says, “Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.”
Then you will come to say, “O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day” (Psalms 119:97).
Reader, are you reading too much and receiving too little?
Or are you reading and receiving the engrafted Word of God, which is saving (preserving) your soul? When you change your diet from the husks of this world to the Unsearchable Riches of His Glory; then you will receive truth until it overflows, and you become an overcomer in this world, over the world and all its lusts.