“In the beginning God…” (Genesis 1:1)
Today, we introduce our new category: Genesis. This will be a Walk through Genesis, also known as the Book of Beginnings; at the beginning, with God. Before the Beginning – God was. God has always been. He is Eternal. Everything else came later. This is the truth presented in the very first verse of the Word of God.
Verse 1 presents God – Before the Beginning. He is the Creator of all things. He is the only uncreated thing.
Paul is speaking of Christ in Colossians 1:
“For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:” (Colossians 1:16)
“And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.” (Colossians 1:17)
The above verses prove that Christ is God – the Creator.
Verse 2 indicates that the earth was without form and void; darkness on the face of the deep. So evidently water covered the entire earth at this time. But it also says, “the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.”
In verses 3-27, we find the description of the 6 days of creation:
The 1st day (verses 3-5); God created Light and separated the Light from the darkness; God called the Light “day,” and the darkness “night.”
The 2nd day (verses 9-13); God made the firmament and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament; He called the firmament “Heaven.”
The 3rd day (verses 9-13); God made the waters gather into one place and dry land appeared (5 oceans and 7 seas as we now know the bodies of water; and the land masses, or the 5 continents of dry land). God called the dry land “Earth” and called the waters “Seas” (verse 10). Also God brought grass and herb yielding seed; and set in order fruit yielding its own kind, “whose seed was in itself” (oranges always produce oranges, etc.); God set up barriers (verses 11-12).
The 4th day (verses 14-19); God created 2 lights in heaven to divide the day and the night. Also they were to be for signs, seasons, and days and years. The great light ruled the day; the lesser light ruled the night; and He made the stars also. All of these were to give light to the earth. (Note: These lights were not the same as in verse 3.)
The 5th day (verses 20-23); God created fish in the waters, fowl of the air, and they were commanded to multiply and replenish the earth.
The 6th day (verses 24-28); God created the animal kingdom and God created man. Man was to have dominion over all of God’s Creation (verse 26). Man was created in God’s image; they also were to multiply and replenish the earth.
Then in verses 29-31, God told man what to eat; and He stated again His order in creation:
“And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.” (Genesis 1:29)
“And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.” (Genesis 1:30)
“And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.” (Genesis 1:31)
Here are some of the main truths which are so important in Genesis One:
1) God has always been. He is Eternal.
2) God is the Creator; who is Jesus Christ.
3) God has order in His Creation: seed bearing its own kind; and animals the same; and humans the same. So there can be no truth to the theory of evolution. Apples have always produced apples; dogs have always produced dogs; humans have always produced humans. There are no cows producing cats, etc. God is a God of order in Creation and in everything else. (Amen and Amen!)
4) The light of verse 3 is different than the lights in verses 14-19.
5) God created man in His Image; He commanded man to have dominion over His Creation, and to multiply and replenish the earth. (Not birth control, not abortion, but to bear children.)
6) God saw His Creation was Good.
7) God has revealed to us the Reality of God, and that He is the Creator of all things, and that His Creation has Order.