“For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life… (17) For if by one man’s offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)” (Romans 5:10, 17)
This section, in keeping with the theme, “Our Service in Christ,” is not directed to the Eternal Salvation of our spirits based upon the Atonement of Christ. But our service is based upon the foundation of the Atonement and its benefits to us in Redeeming us, Reconciling us, and making us Righteous in His Justification. Therefore, it is directed to living His Life in our life.
That is, our daily salvation (or preserving) in His Life; Romans 5:10b “…much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved (preserved) by his life.” Verse 17b says, “…much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life (now and hereafter) by one, Jesus Christ.” Paul said in Colossians 3:3, “For ye are dead (to the old man and its lusts), and your life (temporal and spiritual life) is hid with Christ in God.”
It is the reigning in this life (the living in His Life, that dwells within the born of God) to which this series is directed.
Many so-called Christians today have a “defeatist attitude.” They act as if they have no power to carry out Christ’s service of love. They seem powerless; it seems that they know nothing of the “overcomer’s spirit.” They think that Victory in Christ is for later, when they die. They are afraid; and they are in doubt of His Promises; and quite frankly, they have the “grasshopper complex” that the spies had when Moses sent them out to spy the Land of Canaan to see how strong the enemy was (Numbers 13:33). They returned with a negative report, a report of fear (with the exception of Joshua and Caleb). (Read Numbers 13, 14, and 16.) Joshua and Caleb had “another spirit in them,” which was manifested in their belief of God’s Word (Number 3:30; 14:6-9).
Saved reader, God is not honored when we have the “grasshopper complex”; when we don’t walk in the Victory that Christ has given us (1 John 5:4); when we do walk in unbelief (see Hebrews 3:6-18), or disobedience. Nor will we have success unless we believe the Promises of God; and walk by Faith (or by the Power of The Faith, Christ Himself, Who lives and abides in the regenerated man; Galatians 2:20). (See Joshua 1:6-9.)
The problem lies not in your position in Christ, nor in His Power within you; but in your unbelief. And in your refusing to follow Colossians 3:1-2, “If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.”
Many, if not most, so-called Christians today know nothing of reigning in the Power of Christ (that dwells within the Born Again believer) in this temporal life.
However, the Bible says, “…we are more than conquerors through him that loved us” (Romans 8:37). Paul said in Philippians 4:13, “I can (not maybe, but can) do all things through Christ (that is, through His Life that lives within us that are Born Again) which strengtheneth me.” Praise God, “Believers” in Christ, Paul states this as fact, not hearsay. But through experience, God had strengthened him and this was a truth to Paul. (See 2 Corinthians 12:1-12.) John said in 1 John 5:4:
“For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.”
“Our faith” being Christ, He is The Faith that came into the world (Galatians 3:23-25). Therefore, since Christ lives in us (Romans 8:9; Galatians 2:20); we have the victory over all things that come against us (Romans 8:31). But until you, as a saved man, come to surrender to His Life that dwells within you, you will not have an attitude of reigning in Christ. But you will continue to walk in defeat and will not walk in the Victory of Jesus in your service.
What are you to do to shed the “grasshopper complex,” to be successful in your service of God?
- Come to see and rest in the fact that the Power of Christ abides in you, having been born of God (Romans 8:9-16).
- Come to see and rest in the Promise that you will be saved (or preserved) in this life, living His Life in and through you (Romans 5:10).
- Come to see and rest in the fact that being baptized by the Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:13) into His Body, the Church; you are a king and a priest, being in Christ, Who is the King and High Priest (1 Peter 2:9). Therefore, as a king in the King Himself, you are ordained to reign in life “by one, Jesus Christ” (Romans 5:17).
- Come to see and rest in the fact that success, or salvation (or being preserved), in this life is in Christ Himself as His Power works in you and through you (Ephesians 1:19).
- Come to see and rest in the “must” of seeking God first; and set you affection on things above (Colossians 3:1-2); knowing that “…ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God” (Colossians 3:3).
- Come to see and rest in meditation day and night in His Word; and observe, or obey, His Word (Joshua 1:6-9).
Follow this recipe and you cannot fail. You will not be a grasshopper, but be like Caleb, a giant killer.